I have always been a strong believer in anything lemon. I think a little bit of lemon zest can transform your dish whether It be sweet or savory. That is why I thought this would be an appropriate dessert for my first post on my personal blog. I have tried so many homemade cake recipes but none compare to my glorified cakebox batter. I use it often but not always. Its moist and fluffy but still a pretty hardy cake. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family did!
Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees
Bake until the cake tests done
1 box Pillsbury Moist Supreme: Classic White Mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
5 egg whites eggs
2 pints rasberries
Zest from 1 Lemon
1 tsp salt
1. Combine all of the dry ingredients and stir together with whisk.
2. Add all other ingredients and beat until well combined. About 2 minutes.
3. Pour into floured cake pans or cupcake liners. I made cupcakes but had enough batter left over to make the mini cake in the pictures. You can also line your cake pans with parchment paper for easy removal. It makes around 24 cupcakes or 2 8 inch cake pans.
4. Bake until cake tests done and allow cake or cupcakes to cool to room temp before adding the lemon curd.
If you are making cupcakes I remove the center with a sharp knife. I only cut a 1/2 inch circle out for the filling to be piped. You can also add a fresh raspberry over the lemon curd filling.
Lemon Curd Filling:
5 egg yolks
Zest of 1 lemon
1/3 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
6 tbsp of butter, cold, cut up
1. Combine all of the ingredients but the butter and cook in a small sauce pan and whisk together.
2. Cook over medium heat and stir with a whisk until thickened, around 9 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add cold butter one piece at a time. Mix together until butter is melted.
4. Take a bowl and place a fine mesh strainer over top of it, run the lemon curd through it.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Assemble cake right before serving. Use a piping bag to fill cupcakes. Garnish with powdered sugar and/ or fresh raspberries.